Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 3)

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 3) 


Title: Somewhere On The Island
Author: Irene C.
Episode 3


SOMEWHERE ON THE ISLAND
EPISODE 3

I wonder what kind of dream I was having that I didn't hear my alarm ring."Ewo!" I screamed. I rushed to the bathroom and barely used half of the bucket before I came rushing out. 
"Choi! With all that traffic on the third mainland bridge, only God knows what will happen today o"
I dashed out of the house like a thief who had just robbed a bank. I think I heard my landlord's wife greet me...damn it, how come I didn't hear quick enough to reply? That woman that can keep malice for Africa. I was almost tempted to go back to greet her, but mehn my job is more important. If I'm sacked now, how would I pay my house rent? That's better than a six months malice!

I quickly joined the BRT queue. Thank God I was number 31, last last if space no remain, I go stand. Despite the kind of speed-mode I put on that morning, I found myself looking for that fine lady I met the other day. I hoped to see her again, since most of the people you see on the queue end up being your roadside neighbours.  Disappointed that she was nowhere to be found, I resolved to watching fishermen looking for fish with their boats and trawl nets. The view wasn't so much fun to behold...but you know that moment when even the movement of grasses means a lot to you. 
"Young man, do you work on the island?" From his accent, I knew he was an urhobo man.
I turned to the elderly man sitting by my right. His faded shirt smelled of dust and ash. His probing eyes could fish out all the answers from your head, even before you uttered them. 
I nodded with a smile, hoping it would stop there. I was in no such mood to gist with an elderly urhobo man. They could be so determined to speak out all the words in their reservoir! . I learnt this when I was doing my NYSC in Delta state.
"Aha, meaning you go through this hold-up palava every morning?"
Was this supposed to be an interview?
"Exactly, I'm used to it, in a way that's not comfortable..."
"Is anything comfortable even? This country keeps getting unbearable everyday. I regret not accepting my son's offer to take me overseas"
"Oh...where overseas?"
"Cameroon!" The man said with an air of confidence.
My sides hurt from trying to control my laughter. It was then I realized others had been listening to our conversation. The woman in front of us burst out into rounds of uncontrollable laughter. Her fat body vibrating like a grinding machine. I feared she might just collapse. 
"So, Cameroon na overseas too? Cameroon wey dey back of my village so!...chai, oga you funny die!"
That was rather rude. She didn't have the right to interfere in a conversation that didn't concern her...but dammit, It was funny. Two other girls behind us joined in the laughter. Difficult it was, but I maintained a straight face. I couldn't just fall the man's hand. He was quiet now, pretending to be searching out a number from his phone. By the time the girls stopped laughing, we were already at TBS. I waved to the man, as I alighted from the bus.
Nigerians are crazy altogether. The annoying thing is that your business is everybody's business. We seem to have forgotten the word 'privacy' exists at all. Anyway I learn from people everyday. Everyday I learn that keeping quiet seems to be the best way to handle some situations. Gosh! Despite the outburst, the man remained as mute as a Teddy bear. 
I trekked down to board a keke-napep to the island. Two women kept complaining of the man's speed. That was not what I needed right now, so I retained my straight face until I dropped at my destination. I was a stone throw from my place of work, when the vehicle broke down. 
"Oga, wetin happen na?"
"My engine don knock, you dey ask me wetin happen"
"Oga no vex, na question I ask, no be fight" I replied sarcastically.
"No o, na fight!" Shouted one of the women opening her eyes wide.
"Why your useless keke no go spoil with that your yeye speed. You ey play like small pikin for road" The other woman was obviously warming up for her own explosion. 
This was not the solution to my problem. I was late for work already, and this kind of argument could linger for hours. My village people were at work! I had to leave the scene. No time to settle fight abeg. I had to trek the remaining distance, having accepted the fact that I was late for work already. Only God knows what I'll tell my boss, it was already 9:26 am. This should be the third time I would be coming to work this late, and my boss detests lateness like akamu without sugar. It's a year and six months precisely since I started working in the bank. It was through the help of my mother's brother's wife I got  the job. That's Naija for you o; and with this kind long connection, I can't just misbehave. "Connection or no connection sef, na God still win am last last", like Tony my best friend then in the camp would say. I was dwindling in my thoughts when my eyes caught something that almost made me lose balance.

No comments:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.