Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 4)

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 4)


Title: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 4)
Author: Irene C. 
Episode 4



SOMEWHERE ON THE ISLAND
EPISODE 4

She looked so stunning, standingtall with confidence and grace. This is what I admire about this woman; her confident gait and charisma. I only met her once, but I could almost guess the kind of person she was. My mother used to attend white garment church; I remember them saying I would become a prophet in future. Who knows, I might just be one already. I chuckled as I walked up to her, forgetting it was 9:35 already.
"Hello lady, I'm Craig, nice to meet you again" I said, hoping my accent was quite impressive and maybe she might just remember me.
"Ok young man, or sorry Craig. I don't remember meeting you, but that's not even my problem right now."
I tried to hide that look of disappointment fighting hard to express itself. My muscles may just tear off from so much effort. 
"Ok..." trying to find words. "Hope there's no problem, you seem tensed up"
"You know I'm trying to think straight right now" she wasn't even looking at me.
"I could help you think better. Two heads are better than one you know." It worked, she finally looked at me. "God please, let her notice that I'm a fine young man" I prayed in my mind. I felt silly afterwards. 
She sighed. "I'm supposed to deliver a cake to a client in Obalende right now, in fact she needs it for an event supposed to start by 11am. This has never happened to me before, I forgot my purse containing my phone and money at my place of work. I don't have anyone's number offhand and right now I'm forced to become a beggar. Oh God!"
Despite the fact that she spoke with so much tension, her voice was so sweet like Nokia ringtone. I wanted her to go over again. I checked my time, 9:53. Maybe I should just forget going to work today and just go with her to deliver the cake. Silly me! By the time my eye go clear, it would have been too late. 
"I'm really sorry about your predicament, but my dear sometimes you have to get rid of shyness and just get what you want. Beggar or no beggar..." I wasn't sure if what I said got her angry. Her expression was as bland as a plain sheet of paper. " Can you manage a thousand naira to take a cab, since you've run out of time already..." Look at me being so nice because of woman! Chai, Craig Okotie, Senior prophet! 
"That's more than enough! I'm so grateful. God bless you" She said, lifting the cake from where she had kept it. I didn't even notice it was there. 
"I really appreciate your concern young man, thanks a lot....God bless you" 
Young man, seriously?
"Craig is the name, and you never mentioned yours" I said smiling boyishly.
"Onome"
"Wow, okay then...nice meeting you again, good luck.
She had already stopped a cab, got into it, while I helped her with the cake. We waved and the man zoomed off with a mocking speed. "You can now get lost" that was what it felt like. So, right there, my lady on a yellow flowery gown left me with just her name and a warm smile that made me forget i was 2 hours late to work. "Onome" I said to myself, amused at how funny it sounded in my mouth. I used to think her name would be something like 'daniella', 'pamella', 'veronica' or even 'tangerina'....I was also thinking she would be one top model or a personal assistant to the governor's wife, based on her packaging. I never thought of her anything close to a delivery girl. Not like I minded anyway, just surprised. At least she gave me the opportunity to reveal the gentleman in me. Only God knows  whether I'll ever see her again; on the BRT queue or somewhere on the island. I even forgot to ask her where she worked. I could be so daft sometimes sha. It pained me down to my right kidney.

"Mr Craig, I never for once placed you in the category of unserious workers; but judging from what I'm seeing right now,I may have been wrong all along" There stood my boss in front of me, blowing grammar up and down like a trumpet. Beads of perspiration came down my head, I was feeling sweaty in and out. One mumu song like that was playing in my mind: 'Onome na woman, work name money.....'
"I'm so sorry sir, I wish I could explain my reasons in just four words, so I won't bore you with my unbelievable experience. I promise this will never happen again and you would have no reason to place me in that category I dread so much." I didn't need anyone to tell me I had just spoken what he wanted to hear. I could hear Segun and Osas clapping their hands and hailing me inside my head. Grammar no hard, if you sabi speak, speak abeg! It pays.
"Just as you have spoken, may this not repeat it self again"
10:23am...I sighed relief as I took my position. As usual, angry customers eyed me from the queue.
Osas tapped me from behind. Oh, Osas the evangelist; my brother in the Lord. Don't try to argue Christianity with Osas, you would just go back home doubting your salvation.
"Guy no try that rough play again o, people are waiting to take your job from you!"
"My guy, it's a long story. We go yarn later na"
Just then, two fat women sat right in my front. I had to take my mind off comparing who was fatter and do my damn job!

No comments:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.