Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 2)

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 2) 


Title: Somewhere On The Island
Author: Irene C.
Episode 2


The struggle for a space in the Lagos BRT could

be so funny. Old people and young people

alike...nobody wants to be left behind.
"Ouch, take it easy!" I almost didn't hear the
voice, cause it was as thin as air.
"Sorry" I muttered as I turned to see the one with
such a wonderful accent. She looked away,
passing a clear message- ' E DON DO'. Her eyes
were as clear as 7up and her long hair swept
down her face like waterfalls. "I'm sorry" I said
again. The man in my front had to look back, I
could read his mind clearly. He smiled
sarcastically and had to show his teeth to
complete his wickedness. They will never mind
their business.
"It's okay" she mumbled, not even looking at my
face. At least I had hope, my face was not scary.
My eyes were not palm oil red, my teeth were not
MTN yellow, neither was my nose bigger than
medium-sized akara balls. I was a soft naija
dude, handsome for all I know!
She entered the bus after I did, far in front of me.
She put her headphones over her head, listening
to whatever it was that made her not realize I
was also in the bus. Disappointed, I watched her
alight at TBS walking with the most enthralling
gait. I kept watching her until I lost sight of her.
I'm not a womanizer, but for this woman, I
recognized her. She caught my attention so
easily! You know it's been long I really had
anything for a girl. When I say anything I mean
even having a girl come to visit me. It got to a
point when my friends started thinking I was gay!
Well, maybe this is a new development, my
hormones are coming alive or something?
Whichever way, I think I feel normal again sha.
So, that was how I stupidly thought of this girl for
the rest of the day. Love at first sight, no be me
and you o. Give me dinner and thoughts of her
will ooze out of my mind like the smell of fried
plantain.
There was a new girl in my work place; a corper
who schooled in London- name so dem talk.
Aisha, a half-fulani girl, so she said. I got to meet
her today and ended up being practically stunned.
Her skin was like silver and gold mixed together,
her thin pink lips slanting like a hypotenuse when
she smiled. Her big eyes were so round like water
bottle cover, while her hair was thick black like
emmm my USB cord. I wondered why her hair
wasn't covered, since she was probably a
Muslim. I was still lost in admiration, that I didn't
realize she offered a hand shake.
"I'm sorry, forgive me... I have a lot of things on
my mind" I grinned like a fool.
"Like what to buy for your wife this valentine?"
"I'm not married" I wasn't sure if that sounded
like an invitation.
"You don't look either, was only teasing you
though" she smiled and I wondered whether she
was from this world.
"I knew you were joking" I smiled back.
"Nice meeting you, I'm Aisha"
"I know, Craig..."
"Nice name, we'll talk later"
"Nice meeting you Aisha" I said, giving her my
fine-boy smile. I watched her walk with so much
grace, unaware of angry customers watching me
with bloodshot eyes!
"Person no fit look woman again?" I mumbled, as
I assumed my position.

No comments:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.