Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 1)

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 1) 


Title: SOMEWHERE ON THE ISLAND
Author: Irene C.
EPISODE 1



The conductor was being smart. He probably thought I was a JJC as well. "O boy, na you go carry last o" I grinned mischievously. Corruption is so deep-rooted in our blood. We should just stop fighting corruption, and rather try to manage it. Everyone wants to make extra gain, everyone wants to play smart. I live in a country where you have to price every single thing you buy. I once saw a middle-aged woman pricing recharge card. I turned to look at her again, and the next thing I heard was 'oloriburuku oshi! Tatafo!". I didn't pick offence, I only laughed out loud. Nigerians are indeed frustrated, everyone is angry!
"Conductor, oya my change o, na here I wan drop"
"Bros you no get change o, na 200 naira be your money"
"My friend, no waste my time abeg" I answered him defiantly. I was startled when a voice came from the back seat. "As you wear suit and tie so, na 50naira you wan still dey drag this early morning?" It sounded like a question if I heard well. You know, I don't understand why people don't know how to mind their business, is it so difficult? The old man kept stretching his head like a suffocated tortoise. He needed a reply, but I denied him one with so much fulfilment. Sometimes it's hard to keep quiet, but it could be so satisfying when you do.
He must have felt so stupid, because nobody even laughed at his attempt to be sarcastic. "Dumb fellow" I muttered to myself.
I alighted from the bus raising my head up high..
I got my 50naira change, I was a perfect gentleman.
Working in a bank isn't exactly the perfect job as people think, and being a customer service officer is not either . I meet a lot of crazy people everyday, except the banking hall is what drives them crazy. The most annoying thing is how people try to force you to do impossible things.
"My ATM card is not working, they said it has expired"
Really? So, I manufacture ATM cards, huh? One day I go just die for una!

A woman once threatened to get me sacked because I let her wait on the queue.
"Do you know who I am? You will lose this job oga!"
I'm used to threats, in fact every Nigerian should be used to threats. Na today?
One of my colleagues who later attended to the woman said she was nothing, but maybe a witch. For you to give that kind of threat, it's either you know someone, you are just being silly, or you are a witch,or winsh as we pronounce it. We are used to them too. When they come pulling my legs at night, I pretend like I don't know what's happening. When I still see them outside the next day, we greet like nothing ever happened. Life is easy that way!

Today wasn't any different, crazy, impatient and angry people kept flocking around my cubicle. My mouth ached from fake smiles, and that's what I get everyday. I don't know if it's only me, but close of work is usually beautiful... well, if only I had a car to drive home all by myself. It's easier to tolerate mad men on the wheels than angry conductors with bloodshed eyes. They are a pain in the neck!

I dropped at iyana-oworo sighing in relief. Glad I would soon be in my second cubicle, I hummed melodious tunes to myself. My street is another wonder to behold! They practically bore holes into my body with their piercing eyes. My neighbours wonder why I don't have a car yet, since I work in a bank. Hmm, Nigerian mentality! Oya, let them ask Google na!

#IreneC

Episode 2 Here

1 comment:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.