Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 6)

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 6)


Title: Somewhere On The Island 
Author: Irene C. 
Episode 6


SOMEWHERE ON THE ISLAND

EPISODE 6


"Good morning handsome"
Aisha. Her beautiful voice could not be mistaken. The kind of voice that would make you forget the serious traffic on the third mainland bridge, earlier that morning. Well, i was not taken...i would not be taken.
"Good morning Aisha, trust you're doing good?" 
"Why not, with you smiling like that"
I didn't know whether to keep smiling or wipe it off my face. This girl biko park well, why me? I managed a smile.
"It looks like you would be very busy today. Let me give you time to prepare"
I was about to reply, then she touched my left shoulder slightly and left me with a group of customers waiting on the queue. They were ready to enter my nose, eyes and mouth; as long as they were attended to.
It was strange, but somehow my mind wandered like a mad man to wherever Onome was. I knew she was definitely somewhere on the island. Maybe delivering another cake or stuck in traffic- Lagos traffic.
"Oga are you helping me check the account or you are watching film on the system?" This man's face was not something to behold at all. He had pimples as big as groundnut seeds. One big one stood at attention at the corner of his mouth. If i opened my mouth, i knew i would laugh; so i just nodded like the humble man i was. There are some kind of trouble you just have to respect.
"Sir, please i need urgent attention..." a customer left the queue beckoning on me. His purple, brightly coloured shirt contrasted every other colour in the banking hall. His complexion was as bright as his face; the man looked like he just came from the moon.
"How can i help you" I tried sounding like an alien.
"Please sir, i tried transferring some money to an account, but it's been pending since...and my money has already been deducted"
"You have to wait oga, there is a queue as you can see."  I raised my head looking at the always impatient customers waiting to just knock me off my seat.
"Sir please, can you help me out...."
Before i answered, someone did that already.
"Oga abeg come and stay on the line, you think say you get sense?...mtcheeeeeeeew" The woman's face emphasized her every word. Her long eyelashes spoke everything but natural, i tried suppressing the fits of laughter bursting out from my lungs.
I looked at the helpless young man, he was not the talking type. He reminded me of a small scary rat i watched in one  cartoon. There is something good about power, you can help who you want to help. Last last dem go just vex.
"Can i have the account number and name"
I could see eyes probing into my skin like broomsticks. Was it the look on their faces or the name on the paper that destabilized me?
"Onome Davids"
I regained from the shock wondering if it was the Onome i knew or the one i did not want to know. All this while, the guy was looking at me with a strange expression on his yellow face. I totally was oblivious of the fact that there was a queue right in front of me.
"Sir is anything the problem?"
"Oh, not really" i tried pretending, when indeed there was a problem. I knew he didn't believe me. "You said you're unable to send money into this account... emm do you know her in person?"
The guy seemed lost. I don't blame him, i was acting like a fool. Anyway in the end, Onome Davids turned out to be the same woman that had been running through my mind like small butterflies. Trust me, after work I searched for the name on Facebook and her beautiful face appeared suddenly on my infinix screen. I saved the picture.  Seriously, could this be a miracle? My pastor in church would call it divine connection. I resisted the urge to send her a friend request. I could hear a small voice in my head saying 'guy, calm down...'
I went home that day singing to myself; not just because Onome Davids was real afterall...but because  i also got her number from the desperate fellow. And I'm here, i don't know what to do with it. Could this be my life turning out to be one Naija movie like that? Maybe they would title this one- 'ONOME MY DREAM WOMAN'.
Okay bro....

No comments:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.