Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 11) The End

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 11) The End


Title: Somewhere On The Island
Author: Irene C. 
Episode 11 The End 



SOMEWHERE ON THE ISLAND

EPISODE 11
I was surprised at how crowded the hall was; the MC being Eli my very good friend was already developing sore throat, trying to control the crowd. They were as much as people that came to watch Barcelona and Real Madrid play. Where did I know all these people from?! I thought it was strictly by invitation, nawa o. Onome stood behind the cake, beautifully dressed in a purple gown with adorning black beads. She looked as stunning as ever, with her expensive smile that came only once in a while.
"I made this cake specially for a man I respect so much...you know, it's been one and half years now since we first met...the way we met was like a movie, but I'm glad I did because I was reminded that there were still good men out there" There was a noise and I wondered if what she said was wrong. "The white and blue on the cake symbolize peace and love; which are two things I wish you in this marriage. Happy married life Craig!" There was a loud applause when she finished talking and then passed the mic to the MC, for the next speaker to come up. I was somehow scared because one idiot could just come up and say something stupid. Well an idiot did come up, but a good idiot anyway. Segun. 
"Craigo, as I call him...this is not a funeral, but I gat say somethings about my real nigga...Craig is a responsible fine boy who knows where to set his limits. He's one disciplined guy and I respect his personality. I must say that your beautiful wife is so lucky to have you sha...because last last, you be correct guy!..Happy married life my nigga!" 
There was another loud applause and the food was already going round. Someone else was already coming up and I just sat there surprised. I didn't plan for any of these. My bride sat close to me calm and tender, obviously enjoying the drama. 
"Salama le ku..." the voice resounded like music in my ears. It was Aisha...she was the least I expected to see, she came???
"Craig, I love the look on your face right now...yeah, I know you're surprised to see me. I'm so happy you have a beautiful lady sitting close to you today...there's nothing as sweet as loving someone who loves you too. I don't have so much to say, but I wish you everything as beautiful as the woman you've chosen. Happy married life Craig!"
There was another applause after she spoke and then another person was about coming up again! There was murmuring in the crowd, people were complaining of too much talk and started leaving one after the other...even the MC dropped the mic and walked away. I stood up and moved to the crowd, trying to bring them back. Before I knew it, the whole place was totally deserted. I was confused and helpless... I was going to meet my bride when she appeared right in front of me...her face was covered.
"Honey, you don't have to worry. I will always be there for you even if they all leave...." her voice was as sweet as birds in courtship. I touched her face and raised her veil. It was Onome! Onome again! She smiled and I began to laugh. We laughed together.
*   *   *
I was still laughing when someone slapped my head.
"Idiot, wetin dey make you laugh?"
"Segun!!!" I shouted as I opened my eyes finally. I had been dreaming all along.
"Thank God you are awake, let me go and call the rest..."
"Who are the rest? Please come and tell me what has been happening since I came here..."
"Mumu, abi you are the one supposed to tell me about the things that are making you laugh...I'm so happy you're back anyway" 

Before I could say Jack, he already left and came back few minutes later with the 'rest'. Osas, Onome and her cousin. 
"Osas...Onome...how did you guys know about my whereabouts... Segun, how far? What's happening?"
Osas was the first to speak, while Onome and her cousin just sat on the bed smiling. 
"I'm so sorry Craig, this is just a very bad prank...so, you let a car hit you because of...."
"Please stop this!" I cut him short. "You guys are confusing me...!"
"OK alright, can someone please help this guy, make e no go back to that place where he dey come from..." They all laughed and I just sat there on the bed watching them all.
"Alright Craig, please forgive me first of all for being a partaker of this...Onome is not my girlfriend. She's my very good friend and church member..." I did not know how that sounded in my ears, but I knew I was happy in a way.
"What?!!!" I exclaimed, looking at everyone eyeball to eyeball. Onome just sat there looking at me...whether she was admiring my pitiable condition, I couldn't make anything out of it. I just wanted to avoid her eyes.
"You need to calm down guy, let me finish my story...Onome has been telling about a guy that has been appearing up and down in her life...and how she's started liking him...I concluded it was you, after she described him...but, i wondered why you never mentioned it to Segun or even me...she told me about the incidence on that day she was attacked by armed robbers and how you came to her rescue...." He hadn't finished talking when Onome cut him short. She was laughing and everybody was enjoying this sick joke.
"I'm sorry Craig, I never wanted you to go through all this...The truth is I really wanted to know how serious you were, I wasn't convinced enough that you were interested in me...I just needed to be so sure if...."
" You wanted to be sure if I was interested...if I loved you...by saying Osas of all people is your fiance?" For my mind, I was now the boss.
"Oboy, you guys are acting Emeka Ike and Chika Ike here for us...please let's leave them to enjoy the moment..." Segun said, laughing mockingly.
They all left the room and I was as helpless as ever. Right before me, my Cinderella in a pink gown sat in front of me...and I didn't know what to tell her. I never knew she was this shy...
"So, now...are you convinced that I'm the kind of guy that can love you as a man should?"
"Of course I'm not convinced...I'm yet to know you Craig"
"So, would I ever get a chance to prove that to you?" I kept looking into her eyes and she held my hands. I was scared my heart would explode with joy... this was all I ever wanted.
"Yes...I would..." I didn't let her complete the statement...I simply kissed her head.
It looked like a proposal, but it was far from that... because I proposed to her in my car five months later, while we drove around, somewhere on the island. 
You know what she did? She pinched my neck and said she was almost scared I wouldn't. I laughed hysterically and then she joined me. That was the best night ever! 

THE END

No comments:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.