Header Ads

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 8)

Story: Somewhere On The Island (Episode 8)


Title: Somewhere On The Island 
Author: Irene C. 
Episode 8


SOMEWHERE ON THE ISLAND
EPISODE 8
The number kept ringing, but there was no answer. " The customer you are calling is not answering..." the network woman's voice was the last I wanted to hear. I felt bad somehow... after, I finally gathered momentum to call...chai. Well, maybe this was just the wrong time...maybe she was caught up on traffic... maybe she was dragging BRT ticket or worse of all, she was with her fiance...they were making arrangements for their wedding. No, that can't be...she's single, I assured myself. Stupid boy, I was indeed a stupid boy.
I called her number again, wawu! She picked. Where was I going to start from, what's wrong with me sef? I was acting like a twelve year old boy calling his first crush. Muntula!
"Emmm...hello..." I said from my own end.
"Hello...hello...pls can you hear me...hello...."
I wasn't sure how her voice sounded...it was shaky, like she was in a tight corner. Was she always in a tight corner? The call ended. I tried dialling again, then I suddenly heard a voice. 
"Hello handsome"
"Oh...Aisha" In my mind, I was like what is it again biko? But life is cruel sha; those you have feelings for don't even know about it...while people you waste your love on, don't even remember you exist. Aisha deserves someone else, not me. I would frustrate her. May she not grow beards trying to win my heart. I looked at her beautiful figure eight, like the calabash in my grandmother's kitchen. God, please help me.
"I saw you trying to make a call...were you looking for me?" She gave that smile again. Chai.
"Errrr...." I wanted to say something I wasn't even sure of. She cut me short, being ignorant of what was running through my mind. She sat too close to me. I was almost suffocated by the smell of her expensive Cologne. 
"Remember, tomorrow is my birthday and there's gonna be a party at my place... I know you're coming, I won't request for that...." she laughed a little, removing her hair from her face. I thought of Indian movies.
"Yeah, I should be there...' I said faintly. My mind wasn't where she was at all...I was thinking of Onome, her voice sounded like she needed help. Which day I turn Superman or Batman? Aisha refused to read my mind, she just kept talking.
"I want us to hang out tonight, you know, celebrate your promotion and my birthday as well...." She was holding my hands now. My heart was beating 'kpo kpo ti kpo kpo' which somehow resonated with my ringtone. Thank God, I needed a break that time...would Aisha ever forgive me? 
"Please excuse me..." I said, checking the caller. It was Onome, she was calling back. There was no need to be excited, she didn't know the caller was Craig Okotie. She just started talking, infact rapping. 
"Hello...hello, please you called me earlier, I believe you're one of my clients...because only my clients have this number..." 
"Yes, I am...Mr Craig" I didn't want to confuse her with the long story of how I got her number. Aisha just sat watching me. Meanwhile, Osas and Segun passed us, waving. Segun whispered some incoherent nonsense as he passed. Yeye boy!
"Oh, Mr Greg...thank God you're the one! Please I seriously need your help right now, it's kinda funny. I just got attacked by armed robbers, but God rescued me miraculously...Please  I really need a big favour from you..please i don't know if you could come pick me up with your car, I managed to get to Apapa after they threw me out of the bus...Right now, i'm in front of that Metro plaza close to the main market. Please I'm stranded, they took all my money and my other phone"  I could hear from her end that she was sobbing quietly, her voice was shaky. She called me Mr Greg...Did I sound like Mr Greg? Who was Mr Greg?
"Okay, I'll be there. Take it easy, ok?" That was the last thing I said and I had to end the call. She couldn't talk anymore, she was practically crying. I was as confused as Neil Armstrong when he first landed on the moon. Wait o, armed robbers in the evening? Why did I always have to be the Superman coming to her rescue? Why was she always in a tight corner? Fortunately for both of us, i knew Apapa like the back of my palms. Aisha just sat there, watching me thoughtfully.
"Craig, you still look handsome when you frown..." she said looking into my eyes. Oh my! This girl wan put me for another tight corner today, she did not even know the bad news I was about to deliver. I smiled and scratched the back of my head. I put a hand on her left shoulder...I could imagine myself looking like a puppy.
"Emmm...you're making me blush..." I said, trying to help her ministry. 
"But you're not blushing, there's this odd expression on your face." She don catch me one hand!
"Err...you're right, I'm sorry, but i have to leave now...like now" I said. She adjusted on the seat dumbfounded. Yawa don strike!
"Leave to where?...the rest room?" She said with sarcasm.
"There's an emergency somewhere, my attention is urgently needed." I managed to say. She laughed a little.
"So, you're just gonna spoil this moment with this bad news...Craig, what's wrong with you? You're not engaged, you're not married...and yet you're not interested in me...are you gay?!...damn!" That question hit me like rain hitting the earth after months of dry season. 
"Aisha, I'm so sorry....i...." I stuttered like a goat. She cut me short.
"I'm out of here, thanks for your time. Have fun." She said on a final note, her face red with fury. I could almost imagine her thoughts, she was hurt. What would I have done? I couldn't call her...how would I tell her I didn't have any feelings for her...that my heart was rather with someone who I wasn't on her to do list. What might have happened to Onome?....I need to get there fast, I imagined myself changing into Superman...

No comments:

Your View

Powered by Blogger.